***Critical Dates for 2006 offseason***

If you see a new post in this forum, make sure you read it.

Moderator: Free Bagel

kensat30

Post by kensat30 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Sorry I got the rules confused, I meant to talk about the contract deadline and not the 18player roster requirement rule. 18 player requirement for the roster I see, although I don't see the penalty wording if you roster less than 18 players

As for deadline to cut a player before you get hit with the 1 year penalty though, I read it:
"If a team waives a player during the season, the franchise gets credit for the player's remaining contract years, minus the current year."
Eearlier in the rules page, it was stated the "in season" starts the day before the first game of the NFL season. Shouldn't "In season" = "the season." So the final day to make cuts without a penalty should be the day before the 1st game of the season.

"In-Season-- In-Season FA bidding rules take effect for new bids the day of the first game of the NFL regular season. "

I have several FA bids out at the moment that won't close for almost a week. Doesn't seem fair to those people who are trying to make FA acquistions that they MUST either:

A) roster 17 or fewer players before the bid ends in order to avoid a contract penalty when signing the FA after the thursday deadline.

B) roster 18 players at the time of the thurdays deadline, and then proceed to cut an existing contract at the time of the winning bid and take a penalty against the cap.

The vague penalty (noexistant) wording regarding having less than 18 players rostered by thursday creates confusion regarding how "you must have a FA bid open if you have 17 players under contract" will work out if you lose the bid, etc.

The one week FA period should go hand in hand with the deadline for declaring contracts IMO. So either the contract deadlines should change, or the FA bidding should change.

Mike Bell's contract has been ongoing for several weeks now and it is now to the point where no one will be able to roster him without taking a hit on their contracts unless they prematurely make a roster cut expecting to win him as a FA. That may still be the case on the day before the start of the season as well. Doesn't seem right.
Team: Brentwood Beavers
Email: kensat30@hotmail.com

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:37 pm

You make some good points Kensat, and for the most part I agree with you. This kind of stuff is tough to foresee ;).

I think in the future this would be best sorted out by starting all our "in-season" rules at least a week before the actual NFL season starts. The reason I don't want to have the contract and roster size deadlines the same day as the NFL season starts is I don't want to give people the chance to assign their contracts after they've seen what happened in week 1 of the NFL. Really, it would almost be a good strategy in that case to take a minor penalty to see what happens that first weekend. Heck, now that I think of this outloud I almost want to keep the penalty like it is now (1dd per day), but make it much more severe if that gap goes all the way through to the start of the season (right now it would cost 10dd to delay your contract signing until after week 1 since it's 10 days after they're due).

I think ideally what we would want to do in the future is keep those two deadlines like they are now (one week before the start of the NFL season) but change the FA bidding rules to the 24hr clock a week before that (so two weeks before the start of the NFL season). The problem with this is two weeks prior to the start of the year I worry that people aren't checking the site everyday yet and may miss out on a FA they wanted...but then again I'm shooting for an active league here so protecting less activity isn't exactly my main concern and I think this would be the best direction to go.

Howevverrrrrr....we're already past that point this year and it would be rather sudden to change it now. I have no problem switching over to a 24hr clock right now but is everyone else going to realize it right away? I doubt it :\.

I think we're just going to have to stick it out for this year and change it for next (I don't really see a need to put it to a vote for next year since really it's kind of a hole in the rules, but if anyone wants a vote we can do that).

If you have any ideas for what to do immediately for this year I'm all ears, one thing we could do is still keep the contract deadline what it is but allow people to cut players for free up until the NFL season starts (a week from Thursday)...I would have no problem with that. And again, I'd love to turn the FA clock to 24hrs but I don't know that that's really an option at this point.
dyNASTY overlord

Team Name: Micanopy Mudslides
AIM: Moyer9513

kensat30

Post by kensat30 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 pm

Free Bagel wrote:.

If you have any ideas for what to do immediately for this year I'm all ears, one thing we could do is still keep the contract deadline what it is but allow people to cut players for free up until the NFL season starts (a week from Thursday)...I would have no problem with that. And again, I'd love to turn the FA clock to 24hrs but I don't know that that's really an option at this point.
I think that's a good idea for this season. As long as I can cut a player up until the season starts with no penalty that is fine with me. I think the rules the way they are written now would allow for that anyways. IE keep the contract deadline, but allow for penalty free cuts up until we are "in-season" (or the day before the start of the season 9/6) And I don't even think that owners with FA bids out right now would stand benefit, because you need to plan your contracts for multiple outcomes with a pending FA bid (you may or may not get that player in FA and you need 18 players on the roster anyways a week before the season starts).

The only thing I'm worried about, is that a bid may not close in time for the start of the season.
---
I agree on the FA clock as well.. I think it would make sense to shorten it as we get closer to the season, perhaps even for the entire offseason, because 1 week is an awful long time to keep bids tied up. I don't know what we could do about it this year, at this point in the offseason though.
---

Another thing to discuss that I don't think has been resolved, is the exact 18 player roster requirement. You've vaguely said something about how having an open FA bid would qualify as an 18th player, but what happens if that bid doesn't end until after the season starts, and furthermore what happens if someone was to lose that bid? Is there a grace period to add an 18th player?

In fact, why MUST an owner carry 18 players at all if they don't want to? I realize that someone could potentially extend contracts using less players, but is it a big issue at this point in the league where most owners have more than 50% of their players on more than a 1 year contract? Less players = less flexibility, bye week insurance, etc. seems like it pretty much balances the advantage of having potentially longer contracts with a 16 or 17 player roster..
Last edited by kensat30 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:49 pm

Alright here's a possible solution for this year...

The contract deadline and roster max deadline remain Thursday. However owners are allowed to cut players without penalty up to the first day of the regular season (up to 11:59pm EST on Sept. 6th), and will have until that same day to get UP to 18 players. Also, this Thursday at 11:59pm EST FA bids would switch over to the 24 hour clock (so any bids already open would close on Friday at 11:59pm EST if there were no bids made...unless the 7 day period ended during the day on Friday).

So...in summation:
By Thursday, Aug 31st at 11:59pm EST;
-contracts must be declared
-roster size must be 18 players or less
-FA bids (including open bids) switch to the 24 hour clock

By Wednesday, Sept 6th at 11:59pm EST
-last day for roster cuts without penalty
-roster size must be EXACTLY 18 players

That way everyone still has three full days to get the message for Thursday. Thoughs? I could launch this out via email immediately.
dyNASTY overlord

Team Name: Micanopy Mudslides
AIM: Moyer9513

kensat30

Post by kensat30 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:58 pm

I like that but I think we might wanna do a vote on the 24-hour clock change. I don't like changing the rules without a vote right before the season starts no matter what the circumstances. Since the time is limited (and presumably everyone should check the site and/or their email within the next 3 days) perhaps we could do the vote and only people who respond with a veto would count as a no. No response = yes vote.

Seems a bit more democratic than just an outright rule change without other owners have a say.